Masterclass at Heaton House Farm

Weddings

Last week I had the good fortune to be able to attend Jonny Draper’s wedding masterclass at Heaton House Farm in Rushton Spencer. What can I say? It was a fantastic course, at a superb venue, with gorgeous models. Jonny Draper is an excellent photographer who was amazingly generous with his knowledge and experience. I came away with new techniques, new friends and heaps of inspiration. Thankfully I only have to wait a week until my next wedding because I can’t wait to get going!

The first day was taken up with shooting and how to manage all the different lighting situations you come across on a wedding day. Our models for the day were the amazing Jen Brook and James Taylor. Jen also runs posing workshops for photographers and so we were able to learn from her as she ran through the poses for us. We did lots of work with off camera flash which we were all keen to master. Besides being necessary in some low light situations flash can give a whole different look to your images and we practised using it indoors and out. We also did some work with video lighting which can be so useful. All the delegates came away with some amazing images. These are quite different to my usual style but I hope to be able to incorporate some of these techniques into my photography and put my own spin on them.

The second day Jonny talked business and how he manages his workflow. We heard from Emma, Jonny’s wife and owner of Love Bridal Boutique, and Sarah Heath from Heaton House Farm. It was so interesting to hear about the wedding industry from the perspective of other wedding suppliers and what its like to work with photographers from their point of view. We heard lots of stories, good and bad, and had the opportunity to get to know our fellow delegates and make friends. Making friends was actually one of the things that I really took away as being good business practice. It sounds simplistic but it is really about ‘networking’ in a totally genuine way.

So all in all a great two days. Huge thanks to Jonny Draper, everyone else on the course and of course all of the suppliers below. Enjoy x

Jonny Draper Photography

Love Bridal Boutique

Jen Brook – Model

James Taylor – Model

Gemma Hallowell

Didsbury Flower Lounge

1. Niki

March 11th, 2013 at 10:32 am

Sounds like great learning, looks good fun and you have made a fab selection of images I love the different lighting, well done xx

2. Mandy

March 11th, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Thanks Niki, it was a great learning experience x

3. Jonny Draper

March 11th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Stunning Amanda! You really get a feel for your style through these images and I think the off camera stuff actually sits really beautifully next to your natural light images because of the way you’ve processed them 🙂 Top work 🙂
    A pleasure to meet you too 🙂

4. Mandy

March 11th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Jonny, for sharing your skills and for the kind words x

5. Jen Brook

March 12th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Fantastic shots Amanda! Thank you for sharing them. It was lovely to meet you and to model for you with James. I hope to see you again soon 🙂

6. Mandy

March 12th, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thanks Jen, it was a pleasure to work with you x

7. Jonny Draper Photography – A Masterclass in Wedding Photography | Manchester Wedding Photographer, Jonny Draper Photography Blog

March 14th, 2013 at 12:06 am

[…] http://www.amandabalmain.com/2013/03/11/masterclass-at-heaton-house-farm/ […]

8. Patricia Hill

March 15th, 2013 at 10:59 am

Mandy, I think these shots are totally your best yet. The lighting is fabulous and though the models were experienced and knew how to stand I think you will easily be able to persuade your bride and groom to pose in this way. You must have learnt such a lot on this shoot. Well done

9. » Enter The Master: Jonny Draper Photography Training Presents The Masterclass »

April 3rd, 2013 at 10:58 am

[…] Do have a look at these two blog posts from two of last week’s attendees to show the kind of thing you will have the opportunity to photograph and to actually hear things from the attendee’s point of view: Ayesha Rahman Photography & Amanda Balmain Photography.  […]